IPL Limelight Facial
Treatment of Skin Redness, Tiny Veins, Brown Spots and Sun Damage Age & Sun Spot Removal
IPL can effectively remove all kinds of skin pigmentation. Results are usually achieved in just 1–3 treatments. The best results are seen on more visible pigmentation as dark spots selectively absorb the intense pulse light. More color ensures better attraction, which breaks up the pigmentation, allowing it to be released from the skin. Results are usually achieved in just 1–3
During the procedure cool gel is applied to the skin, and a brief pinching sensation will be felt (similar to a rubber band snap). After the treatment, clients may feel a stinging sensation, similar to sunburn. The IPL procedure will make your skin sensitive to the sunlight. Due to this, it is INCREDIBLY important to minimize your sun exposure, and when you must be out – apply SPF 30+ before going outdoors.
What is the LimeLight Facial?
The LimeLight Facial is a new, non-invasive approach to treating benign pigmented and vascular lesions using Cutera’s LimeLight. The procedure offers the advantage of improving skin tone and surface imperfections associated with aging and photodamage.
What areas can be treated?
The LimeLight Facial is ideal for any part of your face, neck and décolleté with skin redness, telangiectasia (tiny veins) or brown spots. Light (low contrast) brown spots, which were previously difficult to resolve, respond very well to treatment.
What does the treatment do?
By selecting Program A, B or C, your practitioner can customize your LimeLight Facial to your skin type and selectively treat the brown and/or red pigmented areas on your skin. It’s the heating of the pigmented brown or red cells that causes the therapeutic effect.
What do treatments feel like?
When the pulse of light is delivered, patients will experience a mild pinching or stinging sensation. Gel is recommended to cool the skin before vascular treatments. Anesthesia or pain medicine is typically not required.
How long will the treatments take?
Treatment time depends on the area of the body being treated. However, most treatments should take less than one hour.
How many treatments will I need?
One to three treatments are usually sufficient to see results. Additional treatments may be recommended, especially for excessively sundamaged skin.
What happens after the treatment?
Immediately following treatment, brown spots will start to darken and your skin may appear slightly red. The treated area may be mildly swollen. This typically lasts a few hours and possibly a day or longer. Make-up can be applied to cover the redness. (see below for post-treatment instructions)
When will I see results?
In the following days, the spots will become darker and may look like sprinkles or patches of coffee grounds. Within one to three weeks, the darkened spots will flake off and fade. It is important that you do not try to pick off the pigmentation, but let it fall off naturally. This will happen after a few weeks, revealing clear skin. Diffuse redness or telangiectasia will decrease and your mottled complexion will improve.
Will the spots and redness reappear over time?
New brown spots, telangiectasia and diffuse redness may appear with new sun damage; however they too can be treated. Remember to always apply broad-spectrum sunscreen when outdoors to minimize sun damage and the appearance of new spots and diffuse redness. Rosacea is chronic and cannot be “cured” with any laser or light source, however its appearance can be improved.
Planning for my treatment:
- Skin consultation is required prior to treatment. Typically your treatment will be scheduled in a separate appointment.
- No Sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk of bruising.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, etc.)
- History of cold sores or herpes may require an anti-viral prescription prior to treatment
- Notify clinic if you have any questions, or if you have any changes to your medications prior to your last treatment or consultation
LimeLight (IPL) Post-treatment Instructions:
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB sunscreen (SPF30+) to prevent further sun damage
- Bruising, redness, and swelling will resolve within 48 hours.
- Treated pigment will turn darker (brown to black) within 24-48 hours – DO NOT pick at treated areas
- Avoid heat, including hot-tubs, saunas, etc. for 48 hours
- Avoid skin irritants for 3 days
o Products containing: Tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc
- Notify the office with any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling, etc.)